". . ., but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with sighs too deep for words. Romans 8:26

I invite you to explore and reflect on the ways that we become more aware of how we can interact with God. I will discuss ways that we can become more sensitive and aware of God's presence in our daily life.

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Finding a Place

All of us have very good intentions about growing in our daily life of prayer. It takes time and effort to develop good prayer habits. We may find that this can be a frustrating process.

Several years ago, I decided to begin each work day with prayer and to increase the time that I spent praying each day. I would go into my church office, sit at my desk, and talk to God.

Unless,... the answering machine was blinking. It might be a new prayer request. Or, ... I might stop to turn on the computer so it could be ready by the time my prayer time was over. Or,... there was a letter I was waiting for on my desk. Or,... you can figure out where this is going.

Some days it would be 10 am and I would realize that I had not yet had my first time of prayer. I would be disappointed and angry at myself for not keeping my promise to pray. This would not be a good attitude to have, so,... I would delay my prayers until I had calmed down. (Repeat,...)

I decided that I needed to change my choice of place for prayer to begin my work day. I chose to turn away from my office and enter the sanctuary. This was a better place to pray at the start of each work day. A parishioner of mine confessed that she tried to pray each day when she arrived at work. She was frustrated because someone always interrupted her. She decided to stay in her car for a time of prayer after she arrived at work, before she entered the building.

You may have to change some of the places where you pray.

I welcome your questions. WordsandSighs@gmail.com

Find a place where you can talk to God.

Pastor Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment