". . ., but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with sighs too deep for words. Romans 8:26

I invite you to explore and reflect on the ways that we become more aware of how we can interact with God. I will discuss ways that we can become more sensitive and aware of God's presence in our daily life.

Saturday, April 10, 2010

The Jesus Prayer

It is helpful to prepare for a time of prayer. After going to your chosen place and sitting or kneeling, I have found it helpful to clear my mind before I begin to pray.

I was introduced to The Jesus Prayer at a pastor's meeting about 15 years ago. It is a short phrase that you think to yourself while you slowly breathe.

Lord Jesus Christ, (While breathing in.)
Lamb of God (While breathing out.)
Have mercy on me, (While breathing in.)
A sinner. (While breathing out.)


Repeat this prayer several times as you breathe. After 5 to 7 times begin your time of prayer.

The first time I taught The Jesus Prayer was during a sermon about our prayer and devotional life. We practiced as a congregation. It seemed as if everyone was breathing in unison.

About a year-and-a-half later I over heard two women talking about when they prayed this prayer. I was thrilled that someone remembered and practiced something from a sermon that long ago.

I had mentioned that some people would spend an entire time of prayer thinking The Jesus Prayer and breathing. Both women had tried praying this prayer when they could not sleep at night. They discovered that it helped them to relax and fall asleep.

The Jesus Prayer can help you slow down and relax so that you can focus on your conversation with God. It can also be a way to reassure yourself of God's presence in your life. Like all good habits it takes practice.

I welcome your comments, WordsandSighs@gamil.com

Talk to God today.

Pastor Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment